Recognized in the National Registry of Historic buildings, the LCA building is situated at the center of a quaint Historic district. The building was constructed in 1903 as the Beaman-Marvel Box Shop; it replaced an earlier building built in 1875 that had burned the previous year. Wooden locked corner boxes were made here, an addition was added, it was an example of thriving industry in a small rural town. The invention of cardboard changed things dramatically, and the Box Shop closed in 1943.
Between 1945 and 1948 the LCA was a poultry house run by Paul Woodard. The building passed to Dorothy King from Walter Jones in 1963. Her proposal to turn it into a community center was turned down by the church across the street and by the town. Enter Joe Barns, a well known Leverett metal artist, Joe wanted to create a working craft center where apprentices would be trained by masters with a display and sales areas. These plans continued after his death. The community came together in his memory and refurbished the building in 1966 and the nonprofit Leverett Craftsman and Artists organization was founded. There are now twenty studios. A gallery space offers an area for display or group function. Each successive use of the building reflects the life and needs of the community at the time and is descriptive of the development of the town.